Pages

8/21/11

the Fells

Fun Date 7” circa 1994
This is my favorite Fells 7”. The A side is exactly what you’d expect from the Fells—a noisy amped up garage punk party stomp with some weird Melt Banana-esque noise being made by the guitars and too-cool-to-be-bothered-to-actually-sing monotone vocals. However the B side, “Easy Rider”, is like no other Fells song I ever remember hearing. It’s still pretty raw, but there is a kind of psychedelic melodic feel that never entered their mostly 50s influenced sound. They’re actually playing chords rather than just pounding power-chords. Vocals are still monotone, but somehow smoother. The whole song feels smooth and that’s a term I wouldn’t normally associate with this band. This had to be one of Heath’s songs because I don’t think Jeff had enough soul to write a song this good.

1 comment:

  1. Heh, maybe it's time to purchase a new soul detector sir; "Easy Rider" was Jeff's song on this 45 (and "Fun Date" was Heath's.)

    (Excitingly for me, this sleeve was the first little graphic design thing I ever did in Tucson [back around late '92 when it was recorded]. I can't really vouch for the end result from a 2011 vantage, but back then I couldn't find a job and was selling my records off to afford the daily can of Rosarita refried beans that I was surviving on, so it was a very welcome diversion and a lot of fun.)

    ReplyDelete