Pages

6/30/11

JFA

Live 1984 Tour LP
This is one of the first punk records I ever owned which I picked up at either Wrex or Zips on the eastside of Tucson. My early knowledge of punk music came either from my sister or from Thrasher magazine and JFA was one of the more prominent bands featured in the magazine at the time. They were real skaters and they played music that was good to skate to. It was mostly hardcore punk, but borrowed from surf music, George Clinton and Bowie. I got this in the late 80s and it wouldn’t be until the mid-2000s until I heard JFA’s proper studio recordings. I had seen them live a few times, but the records were out of print and easy computer access to old recordings was unheard of. When I finally heard their studio records I thought they sounded so slow and lifeless compared to this live recording that had been seared into my brain for so many years. Sure everything was clear, tightly played and precise, but that was the problem. They lacked of the wild chaos and reckless abandonment that this live recording captured.

2 comments:

  1. shit, you've been posting!
    i've apparently not been getting my feed from you.
    still, excellent stuff, yo.

    ReplyDelete