Pages

7/18/11

My Feral Kin

The Blackened Flat Tax Cd 2008
This band played at my house when I lived in Flagstaff, but I missed the show because I had to work. My roommate, Dirty Steve, who is always looking out for my record collection, picked me up a copy of their CD. When I got home that night the house was trashed, our wood burning stove was demolished, the walls were covered in beer, beer cans everywhere, a few stragglers were passed out or still partying and hard drugs were consumed. After hearing this CD I thought that surly all this chaos couldn’t have been caused by this band, and it wasn’t. Those honors go to Sante Fe’s High Octane Hell Ride, who know how to party. I’m sure seeing the quirky indie-pop of My Feral Kin was a bizarre contrast to High Octane’s hardcore-thrash, but those are often the most fun shows. I’ve listened to this at least once a month since I got it. I lost the actual CD along the way and the above art work (which I found online) is not the same as I remember. Anyway I don’t know anything about these guys, but the music here is great. Wandering, dueling guitars make up most of the foundation while catchy high pitched vocals cover a huge array of instruments with catchy nursery rhyme patterns, except with words that are not nursery rhyme material. The structure is sometimes short and poppy, but some of the songs drift into extensive jams without beating the wandering to death. I can’t believe this band isn’t huge with the people that read Pitchfork and buy current Sub Pop releases. My half-assed internet search makes it seem like they’re not active, which is a shame because I would have loved to see how they’d followed this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment