Pages

5/26/11

the Cuntifiers

Never Coming Out CD 2006
After the Weird Lovemakers there was the Cuntifiers. Petix was the only consistent member, but this wasn’t really a solo project. When I played with um (gtr or drums at different times) I wrote about 30% of the songs and Rubbles and Roy wrote about 30% of the songs. Petix wrote the rest but he was the only singer, so it all sounds like his stuff. He also wrote all the lyrics, which are brilliant. Songs 14-20 are a mini punk-opera about unsung fictional comic book heroes in the American West. He has the distinction of being the best songwriter and the worst guitar player I’ve ever worked with. The process of recording this album was grueling for all involved and I think the guys that recorded it (Matt Rendon and Jaime Peters) seriously reconsidered whether or not they wanted to be recording engineers after this project. I recorded my guitar tracks and moved to Flagstaff the next day, then he brought in members of the Jons, Swing Ding Amigos and the Okmonics to put all the bells and whistles on it. When I finally heard the finished product I was pretty impressed. Unlike the much loved Weird Lovemakers, nobody liked the Cuntifiers which I can only attribute to the stupidest band name of all time. The songs are as good as the stuff Petix did with the WLM, but we couldn’t even get arrested in Tucson, much less play the cool clubs. Because we were so hated we called the project Never Coming Out which we expected to be the fate of the recording until our friend Larry asked us if he could release it as a freebie with his great, long lived zine Genetic Disorder. Last I heard this band is actually still together in Portland with a new line-up, where I assume they are even more hated than in Tucson. Me and Gustav, who replaced me in this band, are currently playing together in Honey Badger, where we try to channel the spirit of Petix, usually quite poorly.

No comments:

Post a Comment