Pages

5/3/11

Foolscap Fire

2005 CD-R
Here’s a release that went criminally under-rated/unheard. I listened to this more than any other Tucson release in the years I was living in Flagstaff. Their sound reminds me of current Brooklyn hipster bands like Vivian Girls or Grass Widow mixed with a haunting Sonic Youth vibe. The Roger sisters played in a number of bands before this, but always seemed to chew up members and spit um out. Then Matt Rendon (the Resonars, Knockout Pills, Marshmallow Overcoat etc.) came into the picture and they came into their own. I don’t think it was due to Matt’s musical influence as much as his patience and ability to work with Cherish and Katie cause this isn’t like any of his projects before this. His talent is apparent though. They spent a lot of time recording this at Matt’s own Coma Cave studio and it sounds great, but then they went with generic rushed art work and did a limited CD-R release on Scott Moody’s Star Time Records. Moody’s releases are always reliable but he never dumped a lot of money into packaging, advertising, distribution and all that stuff. From what I understand Foolscap Fire quit because of Cherish’s problems with carpal tunnel and Katie’s busy schedule as a lawyer. Matt is probably recording a new record as you read this.

1 comment:

  1. Cherish was the girl friend of Chad form "The Blacks" right? I remember her and her sister Katie. I remember all of these bands and Matt Rendon, but I didn't know him very well.
    Mark Canterbury aka Mopar Mark & Slack Mac

    ReplyDelete