Pages

5/7/11

Invisible City

Demo CD circa 2004
Bobby Carlson always seems to have a couple bands going at any given moment and is probably in the process of starting a new one. Invisible City is probably my favorite band of his to date, which isn’t to demean his other efforts (Babies, the Ponies, Feel Free etc.), it just seemed like Invisible City brought together a group of really good musicians that created an original sound. Bobby once told me that Steve was the best guitar player he has played with and it’s easy to see why. He has a really creative approach to guitar that incorporated a lot of noise while working within the song structure. I remember him using a drum stick to play the guitar in weird ways. Drummer Adan is a great drummer and singer Hesper comes off like a 90s riot grrrl singing in Crass! They were a Tucson band for a while, then I think they functioned as a Tucson/Flagstaff band after Bobby and Hesper moved back up there. The sound is kinda rooted in the 90s Olympia punk sound but crossed with the current heavier noisier Olympia sounds of Milk Music, White Boss or maybe Gun Outfit. Steve is currently playing in Monster Pussy. Adan was living in Phoenix last time I saw him. Besides Red Dress Press I don’t know if Hesper has played with anybody else and like I mentioned Bobby is always busy with something. He’s also the music editor of the N. Az weekly (that comes out monthly) The Noise. Sorry no song titles.

1 comment:

  1. I have the 4-track cassette masters for a session they did circa 2004. All of the songs had numbers for titles. I wonder if this is the same stuff.

    ReplyDelete