Pages

5/3/11

Blood Spasm


Unreleased Album '87
First post and I chose this unreleased LP because it embodies all that I hope this blog to be. 1) it’s a great example of music from Arizona. 2) it was unreleased or had a small release, mostly locally and 3) the band was influential and/or some of the members are still active with local music. Blood Spasm (along with FUCT, Opinion Zero and Civil Order) pretty much ruled the Tucson punk/hardcore scene for the later part of the 80s. They were breaking up at the time I started going to shows and I only caught the old lineup once opening for (and blowing away) D.R.I. at Mudbugs, which is now called the Rock. My sister used to hang around them back in the day, so their reputation preceded them, but I’m not qualified to write a proper biography. In the early 00s they began a series of reunion shows which as far as I know are still happening with new members. I did catch the first reunion and they sounded like they hadn’t played in years, which was the case. At least one of these guys is dead but singer Bob Spasm (despite serious health problems) is still alive and can probably be found in a downtown bar right now, not drinking. He is currently singing with Bob Spasm and the Gods of Rock. This unreleased LP, recorded in ‘87 by Bret Gurewitz of Bad Religion fame, actually has been released in demo and CD forms at different times over the years, but never saw the proper vinyl release it deserves. With 80s hardcore reissue fever at an all time high I’m surprised there hasn't been more interest in them. The song “We Got Cactus” has become Tucson’s de facto punk anthem and I almost named this blog that, but since I stole the line “if the drugs don’t kill you the boredom will” from another Blood Spasm song for a comp. I helped put out in ’97 I thought better of it.

1 comment:

  1. I have a copy of that flyer. It was drawn by Billy "SCREAM" Bowen. The first time I saw BLOOD SPASM was March of 1986 at lunch time "Eat To the Beat", at the CELLAR in the UofA Student Union. I had been going to UofA since January and heard music from the Cellar at lunch time, but nothing interested me. Then one day I hear pure mayhem coming out the door. I'm thinking WTF is this, so I go inside and there's a bunch of punks slamming around and throwing pop cans and milk cartons all around and it was BLOOD SPASM. A bunch of Tucson High punks had come over for the gig. I think John Mount was there with green hair. I didn't know him at that time.
    Mark Canterbury aka Mopar Mark & Slack Mac

    ReplyDelete