Pages

5/28/11

Jason's Cat Died

7" circa 1994
This is probably my favorite record put out by any Tucson band ever. The sound is hard to describe. It mixes punk, indie, emo, rock and even a little ska, but the amount of feeling they dumped into this is what has made it stick with me over the years. Like Spill Blanket, I had seen a lot of their earlier shows but missed them in their later years when they got real good. I heard this long after they broke up and almost couldn’t believe that this was the same band I had seen so many times at the DPC. The masterminds behind this band, Chris Vlassic and Ryan Doten, would go on to refine their skills together in Yellow Brick Roadkill and separately in too many bands to mention. Actually they both played together in the Zero Tolerance Task Force at one point, but that probably did more to refine their survival skills than their musical skills. These are the two musicians that I have always wanted to play with, but they have somehow eluded me over the years. Chris is currently living in the Bay Area and Ryan is playing in the revamped and totally awesome Vanish Twin.

No comments:

Post a Comment