Pages

5/5/11

The Pedestrians

An Evening At "Pearl's" Hurricane" '79
I was doing an exit interview with librarian Sandy White after working with the Tucson-Pima Public Library for fourteen years. The subject turned to music and she asked what kind of music I played. This is a tough question for any musician, but to insure that the next question isn’t “when are you playing next?” I usually answer with something like “noisy punk rock.” To this Sandy replies “oh my husband played in Tucson’s first punk band.” I had read in the liner notes to this CD that the Pedestrians made this claim but I didn’t mention this to Sandy, I just asked her the bands name to which she replied “the Pedestrians.” For some reason I thought she was from the East Coast the whole time we worked together. This is a not-to-bad live recording of their first show at a bar that used to be downtown on Broadway. Most of their set consisted of songs that were already punk standards by ’79, a few 60’s covers and a few originals. The originals (Elevator, Windy City and Tropicana) aren’t too bad and I wish there were more of those on here. Pictures of the band and the crowd in the booklet look just like the musicians and freaks that hang around downtown today. Put out by Tucson record label staple San Jacinto in 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment